Sunday, November 7, 2010

Review Week 7

This week we continued to work on the portrait drawings. I posed as the model on Monday, which was nothing short of a bad neck ache. I missed class on Wednesday due to an all day field trip with my aesthetics class. We visited MCAD, the Minneapolis Institute of the Arts, and the Walker Art Center. This was my third time taking this field trip and it was once again, a very pleasurable experience. It was a non-managed field trip and it was refreshing to connect with the work without having to do some sort of assignment. This was my favorite visit to the Walker. The Yves Klein show was an array of his International Klein Blue pieces, but I enjoyed his fire paintings the most. I was mesmerized by the living installation Naked. The piece engulfed the viewer with an eerie sense of death and I revisited the work three separate times while we were at the museum. I also found immense tranquility in the James Turrell piece located around the back of the building. I laid on the benches and stared through the hole in the ceiling and into the sky while my eyes began to shift in and out of focus creating an illusion of spacial boundaries. I enjoy his celestial works and it was exciting to be able to directly interact with once of his pieces. All in all the field trip was a success, but I lost out on class time to finish my portrait. This weekend will have plenty of work in store for me!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the museum!! I ended up having to miss class on Wednesday too... oops. I was sick :( If you need someone to do the last drawing with maybe we could do them together cuz I'd need a model too!

    Good job on keeping up with your blog posts and everything too!! I know thats a struggle for some people.. (including myself! hahaha)

    ReplyDelete