Monday, November 29, 2010

Review Week 9




This week we critiqued our final portrait drawings. My drawings were talked about near the end of class so feedback wasn't as abundant as those discussed in the beginning. The class enjoyed my use of charcoal and the likeness of my portraits. My suggestions for improving the portraits were easy fixes. My value transitions could have been smoother and less dark in some areas like under the chin on the neck.
For the most part, I am happy with the outcome of my drawings. The most interesting and difficult drawing was my non-traditional view. My boyfriend posed as my model, which I found quite difficult to draw. It was much more challenging to draw someone I am close to and see everyday. I found myself more focused on making the portrait look like him as opposed to paying attention to the structure of the face. I enjoy my treatment of the hair in all of my drawings. I chose to leave it mostly unfinished to keep it from taking away from the face. I also enjoyed returning to vine charcoal to add value. I have exclusively worked with pencil and conte for the entire semester. Diving into the value drawing with my fingers and the charcoal was refreshing. Overall, I would like to go back and tweak the drawings with my feedback from the critique. I am pleased with my improvement from life drawing I, but they will hopefully improve more after I revisit them.

No comments:

Post a Comment