Sunday, September 26, 2010

Review Week 2




This week we continued to work on our skull drawings and critiqued the three views in class on Wednesday. I used my time wisely in class on Monday and was able to finish my back 3/4 view and begin my final drawing. I came in outside of class to use the skeleton and finish my front 3/4 view. I was very pleased with the final results of my skull drawings. I feel that I was able to create interesting drawings that show my process and evoke some sort of life.
I worked on altering my line-weight and creating forms that were accurate to the subject. I found it helpful to draw the form of the cranium by looking at the lines ingrained on the skull itself. This helped me to create a true long axis line, and also in drawing the contours of the spherical form. I worked hard on improving my drawing process by beginning the drawing with a general description using simple shapes. This helped me create an accurate drawing quickly and simply as opposed to beginning the drawing by looking and drawing exactly what I see. I also greatly focused on building the planes of structure on the skull. I think I will be able to improve on this facet of the drawing process and I look forward to trying to utilize this in the next drawings.
I am most pleased with my back 3/4 view. I found this view to be the most difficult, which is most likely why I am proud of the drawing. I also enjoy the profile drawing, but the 3/4 front view is my least favorite. I think my ability to create a more dynamic drawing was more difficult when drawing such a familiar, descriptive form. My first three skull drawings from this semester greatly surpass my skulls from the end of life drawing I.
On a side note...my skull that I ordered finally arrived on the day of critique! I am happy to hear that we will continue working from the skull and that my purchase won't go to waste or merely be a creepy Halloween decoration :)

No comments:

Post a Comment